Sunday, November 2, 2008

Buffalo Ranch






There are few places on this earth that I love as much as Buffalo Ranch. For the last five years these horses, my neighbors, have filled my horizon with countless breathtaking sights. Unfortunately, the Ranch is moving operations and the horses will soon leave. The owners graciously allowed me access to shoot on the property. The horses, however, had other ideas. I was simply too much of a curiosity to be left alone. They nibbled my hair, my camera strap, and would have munched on my lens if I had let them. One mare took a personal interest in me, constant nuzzling me, and insisted on corralling me while refusing to let the other horses come close. She was rather vigilant in her task so getting some shots was quite a bit trickier than I had imagined. It was a poinant reminder that good portriature takes a partnership of sorts, a mutual agreement perhaps. I found myself reluctant to leave.